April 6, 2015

Happy Endings Writers: The Epitome of Evil
10:56 AM

Happy Endings Writers: The Epitome of Evil


So a couple months back I posted a story about a possible Happy Endings revival. The Happy Endings writers twitter account (@Happywrites) tweeted a countdown clock ending on April 1st. Throughout the next two months – clues were tweeted that heavily pointed to a fourth season of the gone-too-soon sitcom. Now obviously it was in the back of everybody’s minds that this could be an April Fool’s joke. But what kind of people would toy with their fans for over two months like that? Well, now we have our answer. The entire thing was an April Fool’s day prank.


Let’s just say I was a little more than livid. Our reward for being "hyper-passionate" fans is to be strung along for months. While small, Happy Endings had a group a very passionate fans who stuck with the show until the very end. Why would the writers purposely piss off those same people who supported them? It doesn’t make any sense and that is why I thought this was originally not a prank. The show was cancelled two years ago, why are you taunting your remaining fans? It's a dick move that gets few laughs. I wasn’t the only one upset either, take a look at the reaction on twitter:



My sentiments exactly.
















According to the creator, he knew nothing of the countdown prank originally. But since it had garnered interest in a series renewal, he couldn't say anything.

"It took on a life of its own to the point that actually there was some interest in finding a place to do a few more episodes or an hourlong special,” David Caspe tells Entertainment Weekly. “So then I couldn’t comment because I wasn’t allowed to say anything yet. But as we hit April 1, nothing has really panned out, and I don’t want to keep people hanging on, so I have to say something. Happy Endings remains cancelled for now."

He went on to apologize for the prank, "I want to apologize to anyone who is annoyed. It was just a writers’ room bit that kind of got away from them. I realized that this could piss off a lot of fans, and our hardcore fans and critics are all we’ve ever had…. But I also have to say that it was really awesome to see how much love there was for the show. We didn’t really think anyone was watching anymore. It was great to see that someone was.”

I call shenanigans. Caspe couldn't send out a tweet immediately after seeing the countdown clock? There is no way he wasn't involved with this. "Sorry guys, nothing official is happening" would have sufficed. But no, he along with the writers dragged fans around for months. This may be a case of hyperbole here, but I hope Happy Endings never comes back and the writers continue to be unemployed.*

*Except not really. I would very much like Happy Endings to come back. 

Like Television Culture on Facebook!
(Image credit: Crushable/ABC) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment