May 2, 2015

Worlds Apart: Survivor's Most Polarizing Season?
1:08 AM

Worlds Apart: Survivor's Most Polarizing Season?


When this season of Survivor started, I did a write up and expressed my excitement for what was to come. I thought splitting up the tribes between white, blue, and no collar was a really fascinating idea that would make for great TV. Now? I don't know how to feel about the season. The episodes are edited great and have a lot of content which is nice because some seasons don't have that (glares at Redemption Island) But the people themselves and the outcome at tribal councils? Terrible. While the last few tribal councils have been explosive (and those are always the best tribals!) the result is always predictable. The best people are going to the jury while people like Dan and Will continue to "play the game" - a phrasing I'm using loosely for those two. We're at final 7 and there's only one likable person left in the running for the $1 million prize. The other six are nauseating. Let's take a look at them.

Will - I've disliked him since the first few episodes and I'm so glad that others are finally starting to see his awfulness. He's terrible at challenges, has no sense of the game, is basically a follower, and is an all around deplorable human being to boot. After watching him make light of Shirin's past issues with abuse, you really get a sense of his "character" (as he likes to put). However, I don't think he is going to the final 3. Normally, you would want to take the person who is least likely to win and shockingly, I don't think that's Will. I mean, Will has 0.000000001% of winning... but that's still more than Dan.

A group of terrible people on a boat | (Photo via CBS)

Dan - I... I can't even, like... what? I don't think I've ever seen anyone lack self-awareness as much has Dan this season. The four seem to be making it so obvious they're together and he still can't see it? Instead he flips on Mike at the drop of a hat. The funniest thing about this? Mike is 100% right in everything has he has told Dan. Rodney/Carolyn/Tyler/Will are a firm final four alliance. My blood was boiling during the last episode - with Dan trashing Mike for the entire reward and then cheering on Rodney in the immunity challenge. Of all the people to get the double vote twist - it had to be him, right? Despite getting two votes at the last tribal, I still don't see him being smart enough to flip back to Mike. Everyone thinks he's an idiot. Rodney and co. are using him and Mike/Shirin know the kind of nasty person he is. He's almost confirmed a spot in the final tribal council because he's almost guaranteed zero votes. 

Sierra - She's in the same situation as Dan, minus the atrocious personality. I wanted to like her so much in the beginning - but she has let me down. She always talks about flipping the vote but never does. How do you NOT see you're at the bottom of the alliance? You're barely even in the alliance girl! She showed some promise wanting to vote Tyler out last round but then she goes into tribal and votes Shirin? What are you doing? This was your chance! She thinks aligning with the most unlikable people will get her a win at the end, but nobody is going to respect her lack of gameplay. 

Carolyn - The good thing about the alliance of six splintering is that I don't have to hear "WE'RE SIX STRONG!" in next week's episode. I pegged her as being one of the better game players in the first few episodes - but she's incredibly overrated. What has she done? All her game moves seem to be on a personal level - taking out the people she doesn't like (i.e- turning on the white collars, voting out Max). If you really look at her game moves, she's done next to nothing. She does have an idol - and I'm hoping she gets voted out with it in her bag. Sidenote: every time I see her obnoxious smile and head-nods at tribal council, I literally want to turn off my television. 

Rodney - He's way too cocky and utterly unwatchable but still not as bad as Will or Dan. It's sad when that becomes the standard? I love watching Mike get him worked up, it's hilarious. "YOU NEED TO RELAX, BRO! YOU NEED TO RELAX!" Rodney exclaims while foaming from the mouth. After Mike, he's sadly the second most deserving winner of the season.

Tyler - Oh right. I almost forgot about him while doing this write up. He definitely could win too. An invisible player winning would be a fitting end to this season. Let me just end it there.

The only acceptable winner of this season, Mike | (Photo via CBS)
Mike - Easily the most deserving winner and the best person left in the game. He made a great move during the last tribal council. I completely understand why he didn't give Shirin the idol. While it would have been absolutely great from a viewer's perspective - it would have been game suicide. Yes, they might have gotten Tyler out - but Mike would just be targeted next round and this time he wouldn't have a hidden immunity idol as a back up. He's fractured the alliance of six and now can pick up the pieces. He's in a much better spot and only a few immunity wins away from winning the entire game. On top of that, he's a stand up guy. He was the only one who stood up for Shirin when Will attacked her and that shows his true character.

and let's not forget the most recent jury member, Shirin. Shirin is one of my favorite castaways in a long time. Even in the beginning when viewers found her annoying, I liked her. She just came across as quirky but overall a genuinely nice person. Last week's episode broke my heart, when Will made her relive her past abuse. Part of me is glad that she was voted out because she finally gets a break from the abysmal people back at camp. She was bullied all season for having a fun, albeit over-the-top personality. I wish Survivor still did "Player of the Season" because there's no doubt in my mind, she would get all of my votes. I should also mention that she gave me one of my all-time favorite Survivor moments. Her denying Will his letter from home will go down in history. He thoroughly deserved it. The iconic hand raise is everything to me. I can't even think of a better way to end this post than with these gifs.

http://immunityilol.tumblr.com/post/117128637156

Please like Television culture on Facebook
(Main photo credit via CBS)

0 comments:

Post a Comment